Xtool D1 pro and the Ortur Laser Master 3 are the two most popular diode laser engravers of 2022. This article will elaborate both laser engravers and there will be an in-depth comparison of Xtool D1 Pro and Ortur Laser Master 3.
Both are the two best laser engravers under $1000 with a lot more to share. We have conducted a 7 hours review process along with 18 customers’ survey to get the right information & user experience for you.
Quick Overview – Xtool D1 Pro
- Quick Overview – Xtool D1 Pro
- Quick Overview – Ortur Laser Master 3
- Comparison of Xtool D1 Pro and Ortur Lasser Master 3
Xtool D1 Pro is an upgraded version of their earlier model (Xtool D1) which came with 100% higher laser power (20W) along with a rotary attachment. There are also both 10W and 5W options with Xtool so that the customers can get the right product within their budget.
Xtool D1 pro offers engraving speed of up to 24000 mm/minute having competency of working with other different material types.
Positive Sides of Xtool D1 Pro
These are key positive sides of Xtool D1 pro that make the laser engraver appealing in front of customers.
- This laser engraver is super speedy with an engraving speed of 24000 mm/minute so that anyone can engrave the intended material quickly and easily.
- The accuracy of Xtool D1 pro is 0.01 mm which enables it to engrave with the tiniest fonts and patterns.
- The initial work area is 430 X 390 mm; however, the work area can be enlarged with additional upgrades.
- Xtool D1 pro works perfectly with windows & Mac OS. We have also found that their smartphone applications work flawlessly.
- There will be Gyroscope detection, flame detection & laser beam control mechanism for safer and smoother operation.
- The payback period is very quick, even less than a year.
- There will be air assist as an add-on but with a premium price.
Negative sides of Xtool D1 Pro
- The initial package doesn’t contain any enclosure. However, you have to buy an enclosure if needed
- The Creative Space software is a bit cranky and you might have to buy LightBurn.
Differences with Xtool D1
- D1 Pro includes limit switches that were not available in D1
- The flame detector was not available in D1 but in D1 pro
- The engraving Speed is 200% faster than the D1
- D1 Pro’s laser head includes an easy thickness controller which was not available in regular D1
- D1 Pro is less smoky than the D1
- D1 pro works in Creative Space software but the D1 is operated in Laser Box
Quick Overview – Ortur Laser Master 3
Ortur Laser Master 3 is an upgraded version Ortur Laser Master 2. This laser engraver offers excellent engraving quality with 0.8 mm focus depth. Besides, Ortur Laser Master 3 offers a great precision rate of as low as 0.01 mm which enables the user to engrave the tiniest fonts and patterns.
It’s a 10-watt diode laser having an exposed belt along with a 400X400 mm work area. Ortur LM 3 offers an engraving speed of 20000 mm/minute with a pull-down calibration mechanism.
Positive Sides of Ortur Lasser Master 3
- The work area is 400 x 400 mm which is great for small crafting & engraving works
- Accuracy is 0.01 mm which ensures that the user can engrave the tiniest patterns
- The spot size is 0.05 x 0.10 mm which means that the owner can make any sort of tiny carves with the engraving
- Workable through windows, Mac and Lightburn
- The rotary add-on is much cheaper compared to Xtool D1 pro
- Safety lock and active position tracking are available
- Sloping position protection & Exposure protection are available
- Voltage control & emergency stop switch are available
Negative Sides of Ortur Laser Master 3
- No enclosure attached. Ortur is not even offering any enclosure
- There is no extension kit available for Ortur Laser Master 3 (only the Laser Master 2 has an available extension kit so far)
- Laser is 10 watt diode with no other option like Xtool D1 Pro
Comparison of Xtool D1 Pro and Ortur Lasser Master 3
This section will follow the in-depth comparison between both Xtool D1 pro and Ortur Laser Master 3 engraver. We compared both from the point of build quality, work area, price/quality, brand value, engraving quality, engraving speed and with other important aspects.
Both Xtool D1 Pro and Ortur Laser Master 3 are two good diode laser engravers under $1000.
Xtool D1 Pro becomes lucrative for its expansion kit, work area enhancement availability & engraving speed. However, Ortur Laser Master 3 goes ahead of Xtool due to the availability of more safety features such as loping position protection, Exposure protection, Voltage control, emergency stop switch, Safety lock and active position tracking availability.
For the budget-friendly laser engraving enthusiast, we will recommend going with the Xtool D1 pro from the overall aspect. However, the rotary kit of Xtool is much more expensive compared to the Ortur.
Ortur Laser Master 3 only offers a 10-watt diode laser and the Xtool D1 pro offers 20w & 5 W choices along with its regular package. There is no competition with laser power if you can address the need.
If you want a good laser engraver for engraving leather, then a 5 W diode laser will serve the purpose. However, the variation of power will help in cutting more tougher materials & engraving with more depth.
We have seen that Ortur LM 3 can cut at 16mm depth with its 10w diode laser. and the evidence is presented below.
Both Xtool & Ortur can mark coated steel and generate good-looking engraving with presented accuracy and speed. We did not see any deviation from what Xtool & Ortur claimed through their website.
Assembly Time & Difficulty
In our opinion, both laser engravers would take around 30 to 45 minutes to complete the setup process. The parts are well organized in the box along with clearly written instructions.
There would be five primary parts of these DIY laser engravers and those are:
- Main chassis
Also, you will find more supportive components which act as a secondary tool to complete any engraving process.
Here’s how the Xtool D1 pro came and what it looks like now:
Again – we did not see any complexities in unboxing and setting up the Ortur Laser Master 3. The parts were well packaged along with the necessary guidelines for the assembly procedure.
We took exactly 23 minutes to set up Ortur, but depending on the skills someone may take an additional 20 minutes even.
Here’s how the Ortur Laser Master 3 came and how we did the job in 23 minutes:
Build Quality Comparison
Undoubtedly Xtool D1 pro comes with the better build quality. The overall structure seemed to be more solid and wider. The wheel moves quickly which helps in a smoother engraving experience.
You will also notice that the wires are more protected by the frames in Xtool D1 Pro, However, Ortur’s wires are more open and exposed.
Still, Ortur’s build quality is better than other similar diode lasers. But when compared to Xtool D1 Pro, Ortur comes second, unfortunately.
Xtool D1 Pro offers slightly larger area than the Ortur LM 3. The work area of Xtool is measured at 430 x 390 mm whereas the Ortur comes with a work area of 400 x 400 mm.
The amazing point is that the Xtool D1 Pro users will be having freedom of expanding their work area and can make it double with its extension kit. Unfortunately, Ortur is not offering such add-ons.
Again, Xtool offers a honeycomb bed so that the laser has access to more airflow. Honeycomb bed also helps in keeping the dust away from the laser and creates more vibrant engravings.
On contrary, Ortur does offer a protective bed but, there is no honeycomb bed available to upgrade at their store. The customers may need to buy a common honeycomb bed and replace the original if needed.
Here’s an example of how Xtool D1 Pro looks after enhancing the work bed area:
Xtool D1 Pro’s maximum engraving speed is 24000 mm/minute whereas the Ortur’s maximum engraving speed is 20000 mm/minute. From the top level analysis, Xtool is ahead of Ortur.
However, the speed is useless unless the laser engraver can create more vibrant engravings.
In our opinion, Both Xtool & Ortur LM 3 can create similar quality engravings so both laser engravers are a value-for-money option.
Here’s a laser cutting & engraving experiment done with Ortur Laser Master 3 by our experts:
Both the Ortur Laser Master 3 and Xtool D1 Pro come with the same precision rate of 0.01 mm so the engraving accuracy would be equal.
However, considering spot size – Xtool is a bit ahead of Ortur LM 3 since it offers 0.08 x 0.08. On the other hand, Ortur’s spot size is 0.05 x 0.10 qhich means that the Xtool will be having the ability to engrave more clearly than the Ortur LM 3.
But, the differences are not noticeable to the naked eye so we recommend both laser engravers for the crafters and enthusiasts.
Here’s an experiment done with Xtool D1 Pro by our experts.
Xtool D1 Pro is compatible with both windows & Mac. Also, there would a smartphone application to observe the engraving process which also stores some basic options and information. However, the user needs desktop control software whether it’s Xtool’s Creative Space or Lightburn.
In comparison, Ortur can also be connected with Windows, Mac, and SC cards. Similar to the Xtool, The Ortur does have a smartphone application that does not seem to be cranky at all.
Furthermore, both laser engravers can be connected through wifi & USB based on the need of the users.
Both X tool and Ortur LM 3 is amazing with their rotary. You may experience a little of time consumption while attaching the rotary for the first time.
We have an observation in this section :
- Xtool’s rotary attachment is more expensive compared to what Ortur is offering.
- There are manual works involved while working with the rotary.
Here’s an experiment with rotary attachment for both Xtool D1 pro and Ortur Laser Master 3:
Both the Ortur and Xtool use the same calibration mechanism for laser engraving. You just need to touch the laser head into the place where you want to engrave and the machine will do the rest.
We suggest you not touch the laser engraver while the calibration is in progress. You need to make sure that the machine and the material is steady and no movements are there to disrupt the laser engraving process.
We found that the Ortur Laser Master 3 is coming with more advanced safety features than the Xtool D1 pro.
The Xtool only contains Gyroscope detection & flame detection whereas the Ortur offers the following:
- Safety Lock
- Active position protection
- Sloping position protection
- Exposure detection
- Voltage controller
- Emergency stop switch
Ortur doesn’t have any limit switch because its Stepper driver is much more powerful & intelligent to control the movement & accuracy of the stepper driver.
Furthermore, Ortur’s safety key and the emergency stop button is a great addition which is helping to customers be more safety concerned. The main point is that the Xtool D1 Pro is relying on its intelligence to detect flame and stop the laser engraver.
On the contrary, Ortur is giving the control to the customer to stop the laser engraver in case there is any fire. Both are good from different perspectives.
Air Assist Kit
Neither Xtool, nor the Ortur is offering an air assist with its initial package. But, Xtool offers air assist with an additional price of around $150. However, we did not find any air assist kit of Ortur but the user may go for the standard one from Amazon at any time.
Enclosure & Extension
There are no enclosures available for Ortur till now but the Xtool is offering an enclosure with its extension kit.
Here’s what Laser Master 3 is currently offering for their available upgrades:
Xtool D1 Pro is also offering an extension facility that primarily focuses on rotary extension only.
Both Xtool D1 Pro and the Ortur Laser Master 3 are very good laser engraver with extremely powerful engraving speed. Between both, We recommend buying an Xtool but you are free to choose the Ortur since a thousands of customers are already happy with Ortur.